A Europe-wide police operation has been launched in an effort to detect, detain and potentially deport tens of thousands of so-called “irregular” migrants; people living clandestinely, without official documentation permitting them to stay.
The migrants being sought out are, in many cases, people who have escaped dangerous conditions in their homelands and are searching for safety, according to Karl Kopp, the Director of European Affairs at ProAsyl, a non-profit foundation based in Germany.
“Mos Maiorum is an anti-refugee operation,” he said. “Refugees are a target of this operation, let’s be clear.”
- EU launches Operation Mos Maiorum (aljazeera.com)
- Coverage for Drug and Alcohol Rehabilitation Facilities (prosightspecialty.com)
- Europe’s police target refugees in operation Mos Maiorum (wsws.org)
- Police launch EU-wide crackdown on migrants (euobserver.com)
- Italy gets more EU aid for migrants (bbc.co.uk)
- Migration: EU launches massive crackdown on migrants (voxeurop.eu)