Friday 21 February 2014
The 10 include an 18-year-old girl from Maastricht who has converted to Islam and wants to travel to Syria with her husband, the Telegraaf says. The girl had expressed her support for terrorism on social media and was on an official watch list.
NCTV spokesman Edmond Messchaert toldbroadcaster Nos the passport applications were blocked because of fears the youngsters would return ‘radicalised and traumatised’. Those who disagree with the refusal to give them a passport can apply to the courts, he said.
Over 100 Dutch nationals have travelled to Syria to join the fighting since the war broke out nearly three years ago. Several have been killed.
Two weeks ago, the NCTV said the passports of eight youngsters planning to go to Syria had been declared null and void.