His name is one with a very powerful and well-respected meaning – “Sword of Islam”. Yet the most prominent son of former Libyan dictator Muammar Gaddafi, Saif al-Islam al-Gaddafi, has never truely lived up to the meaning of his name. Maybe for that reason the Libyan opposition fighters labeled him “Saif al-Kufr” instead – Sword of Disbelief.
Today Saif al-Islam al-Gaddafi was captured by captured by the forces of the Transitional Council in Obari in the South of Libya and taken to Tripolis in a plane.
For months the Gaddafi son had been living in hiding, releasing audio tapes in which he called the opposition enemies of Libya. “Go to hell you rats and NATO”, he said in a audio tape released in October.
Just before the regime in Tripolis collapsed Saif al-Islam announced he would lead a Jihad against NATO and their Libyan allies. The 39 year-old Gaddafi son declared he had joined with Islamic forces and was ready to fight. Truth was Saif al-Islam fled the capital and was hiding somewhere in the desert region close to the border to Niger.
Videos from Libya that were uploaded onto the Internet today show Saif al-Islam´s private gun he was carrying when rebels arrested him. It appears to be a silver-plated assault rifle.
- Libya: Transfer Saif al-Islam to the International Criminal Court (prnewswire.com)
- Gaddafi’s son Saif al-Islam captured in Libya (rombizco.wordpress.com)
- Saif al-Islam Gaddafi captured in Obari while trying to cross from Libya to Niger (100gf.wordpress.com)
- Saif al-Islam Gaddafi ‘pretended to be a camel herder’ when captured (guardian.co.uk)
- Saif al-Islam Gaddafi captured by Zintan fighters (news.nationalpost.com)
- Gaddafi’s son Saif held in Libya (mirror.co.uk)