For years the U.S. has been monitoring South America for signs of Islamic terrorism. Most of action is non-terrorist criminality. Moslem criminal gangs in the region have provided some support services for al Qaeda, but otherwise there is not a lot of support for Islamic radicalism in South America. Moslems are a very small minority down there, and they don’t want to trigger an anti-Islamic attitude because of al Qaeda terrorism in the region.
But a more threatening new base area for Islamic radicals is developing in Venezuela. There, leftist president Hugo Chavez has not only established close diplomatic relations with Iran (and Cuba, North Korea and radical groups throughout the region), but has allowed Iran to set up terrorist operations in South America. Regular commercial flights from Iran to Venezuela (via Syria, to accommodate Hezbollah) carry people, cash and whatever else Iran wants to move. No questions asked, no visas required.
Several U.S. counter-terrorism organizations have gone to work, trying to find out what Iran is up to, and how to block any terrorist activity. For example, the U.S. Treasury Department‘s Office of Foreign Assets Control sought to block attempts by Iran and Hezbollah to get around banking restrictions placed on their terrorist activities, by opening bank branches in Venezuela. Hezbollah is using its new base in Venezuela to support its fund raising, and purely criminal activities, in South America. Iran is looking to support attacks against South American Jews, plus any other mischief it can pull off, without being blamed.
Hezbollah has long been involved in the drug business in South America. That gives these Iran backed Islamic terrorists access to the narcotics smuggling routes that Mexican gangs use to smuggle drugs and people into the United States. The Iran-backed Lebanese group has long been involved in narcotics and people smuggling in South America’s tri-border (Paraguay, Argentina and Brazil) region. This area has long been a hotbed of illicit activity, and too many politicians and police commanders are on the take from gangsters to change this.
Thus, South America makes an excellent refuge and base. Particularly worrisome is the cooperation between leftist rebel movements there, and Islamic terrorist groups. So far, the United States says little of what it is doing down there to monitor, or cope, with Islamic terrorist activity. But something is up.
- Report: Hezbollah Sets up Shop in Cuba (americandefenseleague.wordpress.com)
- Chavez supporting growth of Hizbollah terror network in Latin America (video) (creepingsharia.wordpress.com)
- HEZBOLLAH setting up shop in Cuba to reach Israeli targets in South America (barenakedislam.wordpress.com)
- America now accuses Iran of 9/11 (irannewpearlharbour.wordpress.com)
- The War America Fights (trinityspeaks.wordpress.com)
- If we didn’t know what Terrorist Front Group CAIR had in store for us, we might fall for this guy’s taqiyya (lies & deception) (barenakedislam.wordpress.com)
- What 9/11 Told Us: “A Civilization Based On Terror” Is At War With Itself (disquietreservations.blogspot.com)
- Indian Media and the Recent Mumbai attacks (zakeeronzakeer.wordpress.com)
- South America: Hezbollah Gaining Strength Dealing with Mexican Drug Cartels (teaandpolitics.wordpress.com)
- FBI: Main stream American Muslims likely to be terrorist sympathizers (nikhasnan.wordpress.com)